MeetChristians.com Tour

Private
Mailbox

Quick
Search

Detailed
Search

Member
Forums

Live
Chat

Polls
space

User
Tools

Help
space

Log Off
space
MeetChristians.com / Forums / Biblical & Theological Issues

No. 0     Original Topic:  How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  Judy757   Gender: F   Age: 63   on  Dec 26, 2017 at 8:52 PM   Viewed 438 times     
I read something interesting in our hometown paper yesterday and thought I would share some excerpts from it.

God is with us all times of the year. God is not in the business of showing up only at Christmas. He is with us always.

We have squeezed so much into one day, needlessly stressing ourselves out, and Christmas has become a day of things.

Jesus Christ is the Spirit of Hope. You look at Jesus and the reason for His coming.

Christmas is actually a 12-day celebration which ends January 6 with the Epiphany. December 25 is just the start of the celebration of Christmas.
Epiphany is observed as a church festival in commemoration of the coming of the Magi as the first manifestation of Christ to the Gentiles.

The Christmas Spirit boils down to this: Very few people can do the motivation of Christmas year round, and those are people who have placed their hope and faith in the One who was born at Christmas.
No. 1     Reply: Re: How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  Devaprakash   Gender: M   Age: 73   on  Dec 27, 2017 at 8:10 AM     
Judy757 wrote:

I read something interesting in our hometown paper yesterday and thought I would share some excerpts from it.

God is with us all times of the year. God is not in the business of showing up only at Christmas. He is with us always.

We have squeezed so much into one day, needlessly stressing ourselves out, and Christmas has become a day of things.

Jesus Christ is the Spirit of Hope. You look at Jesus and the reason for His coming.

Christmas is actually a 12-day celebration which ends January 6 with the Epiphany. December 25 is just the start of the celebration of Christmas.
Epiphany is observed as a church festival in commemoration of the coming of the Magi as the first manifestation of Christ to the Gentiles.

The Christmas Spirit boils down to this: Very few people can do the motivation of Christmas year round, and those are people who have placed their hope and faith in the One who was born at Christmas.


Incidentally, Gentiles were first to recognize Jesus as the King of Jews and to worship Him!:bowdown:
No. 2     Reply: Re: How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  CAsandie   Gender: F   Age: 103   on  Dec 27, 2017 at 10:39 AM     
Judy757 wrote:

I read something interesting in our hometown paper yesterday and thought I would share some excerpts from it.

God is with us all times of the year. God is not in the business of showing up only at Christmas. He is with us always.

We have squeezed so much into one day, needlessly stressing ourselves out, and Christmas has become a day of things.

Jesus Christ is the Spirit of Hope. You look at Jesus and the reason for His coming.

Christmas is actually a 12-day celebration which ends January 6 with the Epiphany. December 25 is just the start of the celebration of Christmas.
Epiphany is observed as a church festival in commemoration of the coming of the Magi as the first manifestation of Christ to the Gentiles.

The Christmas Spirit boils down to this: Very few people can do the motivation of Christmas year round, and those are people who have placed their hope and faith in the One who was born at Christmas.


Thank you for sharing this Judy!

Even beyond the 12 (note God's Perfect Will in considering the actual 'number' of days in the celebration partaken ), captivating one's thoughts on Christ 365 is the life changing experience wished for all.

It is so true ... the Lord renews us daily (our hope, our love). Everyday is the same and everyday is Christmas in this regard.

Struggles aside, how blessed are we to have Christ guiding us, His undeserved mercy and love.

My thoughts on this:

When focused upon Him ... it is difficult not to extend outward to others that same mercy, kindness and love (this is what Christmas is all about).

Again thanks for sharing this Judy! :goodpost:

No. 3     Reply: Re: Re: How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  Judy757   Gender: F   Age: 63   on  Dec 27, 2017 at 11:20 AM     
CAsandie wrote:

Judy757 wrote:

I read something interesting in our hometown paper yesterday and thought I would share some excerpts from it.

God is with us all times of the year. God is not in the business of showing up only at Christmas. He is with us always.

We have squeezed so much into one day, needlessly stressing ourselves out, and Christmas has become a day of things.

Jesus Christ is the Spirit of Hope. You look at Jesus and the reason for His coming.

Christmas is actually a 12-day celebration which ends January 6 with the Epiphany. December 25 is just the start of the celebration of Christmas.
Epiphany is observed as a church festival in commemoration of the coming of the Magi as the first manifestation of Christ to the Gentiles.

The Christmas Spirit boils down to this: Very few people can do the motivation of Christmas year round, and those are people who have placed their hope and faith in the One who was born at Christmas.


Thank you for sharing this Judy!

Even beyond the 12 (note God's Perfect Will in considering the actual 'number' of days in the celebration partaken ), captivating one's thoughts on Christ 365 is the life changing experience wished for all.

It is so true ... the Lord renews us daily (our hope, our love). Everyday is the same and everyday is Christmas in this regard.

Struggles aside, how blessed are we to have Christ guiding us, His undeserved mercy and love.

My thoughts on this:

When focused upon Him ... it is difficult not to extend outward to others that same mercy, kindness and love (this is what Christmas is all about).

Again thanks for sharing this Judy! :goodpost:

Thanks, CAsandie.
No. 4     Reply: Re: How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  RadioPreacherMan   Gender: M   Age: 59   on  Dec 28, 2017 at 5:35 AM     
Still " pondering " ... and if and when something comes to mind ... I'll be back and share it. Thanks Judy for presenting the thread. It's always good to see you post here at MC.
No. 5     Reply: Re: How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  RadioPreacherMan   Gender: M   Age: 59   on  Dec 28, 2017 at 6:12 AM     
Just Came Across this Song ... " Keep the Spirit " ...


No. 6     Reply: Re: Re: How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  Judy757   Gender: F   Age: 63   on  Dec 28, 2017 at 11:04 AM     
RadioPreacherMan wrote:

Still " pondering " ... and if and when something comes to mind ... I'll be back and share it. Thanks Judy for presenting the thread. It's always good to see you post here at MC.
Thanks!
No. 7     Reply: Re: How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  RadioPreacherMan   Gender: M   Age: 59   on  Dec 29, 2017 at 6:46 AM     
It's the first time I have ever heard this lady sing ( Sara in the video above ) ... but I'm telling ya ... she has a beautiful and powerful voice.

This again shows the wonderful " interaction " that takes place here in the forums. One person starts a thread with whatever topic comes to their mind ... then another person contributes with whatever comes to their mind.

The beauty of it all is when the Lord Himself is involved in the interaction ... leading and guiding us ... as He brings different things to our mind to share with everybody.

Yes ... as we interact with the Good Lord alone ... we have the opportunity to share the Mind of Christ ... when we interact with each other in the forums.

We also have our own thoughts. We are thankful to have Jesus Christ as our " filter " ... learning as we go ... on what to share with others. We also learn to " re-strain " ourselves in what not to share too.

Okay Judy ... as the thread continues ... it will be interesting to see if the Lord is bringing anything else to people's mind ... as they read what is being presented here.

:popcorn:
No. 8     Reply: Re: How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  Jeff74996   Gender: M   Age: 57   on  Dec 29, 2017 at 5:48 PM     
Without getting technical about definitions and keeping with Christmas as the advent of Jesus Christ coming into this world, I offer the following.

Luke 2:34 Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother, "This child is chosen by God for the destruction and the salvation of many in Israel. He will be a sign from God which many people will speak against
2:35 and so reveal their secret thoughts. And sorrow, like a sharp sword, will break your own heart."


I was thinking about Mary. Imagine being Mary - hand picked by God to carry, bring to birth, and rear His Son. She raised Him as a young Child, and watched Him grow. She must have been in awe at every turn. Fully grown, she was still His mother, and they were together at a wedding. She told Him they needed more wine when they ran out, and He accommodated. It would not be very long after that when she would feel the tension as the religious leaders became disturbed and angry with Him. She must have been horrified when they took Him away to be beaten and bloodied, and worse, to hear the mindless mobs screaming, "Crucify Him!" Even this is part of the meaning of Christmas, for to this end He was born - to die on the cross for the sins of the world. The meaning of Christmas does not end with the birth of Jesus Christ, or even the death of Jesus Christ. But because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ, the meaning of Christmas has continued through the ages, and continues on through our own times - for with every new birth in Christ, every new born-again believer carries Christ within their being. And as He is shared with others and received into new hearts, Christmas is repeated time and time again.

John 1:12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,
1:13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.


A time came when Mary understood, and she saw her Son resurrected, and became a disciple. We find her in the book of Acts, present among the other disciples on the day of Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit came (Acts 1:14). She would carry Christ again, in a new and different way - as a new creation in Christ.

Colossians 1:27 To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

2nd Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if anyone be in Christ, he is a new creation: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.


Merry Christmas
No. 9     Reply: Re: Re: How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  Devaprakash   Gender: M   Age: 73   on  Dec 29, 2017 at 6:34 PM     
Jeff74996 wrote:

Without getting technical about definitions and keeping with Christmas as the advent of Jesus Christ coming into this world, I offer the following.

Luke 2:34 Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother, "This child is chosen by God for the destruction and the salvation of many in Israel. He will be a sign from God which many people will speak against
2:35 and so reveal their secret thoughts. And sorrow, like a sharp sword, will break your own heart."


I was thinking about Mary. Imagine being Mary - hand picked by God to carry, bring to birth, and rear His Son. She raised Him as a young Child, and watched Him grow. She must have been in awe at every turn. Fully grown, she was still His mother, and they were together at a wedding. She told Him they needed more wine when they ran out, and He accommodated. It would not be very long after that when she would feel the tension as the religious leaders became disturbed and angry with Him. She must have been horrified when they took Him away to be beaten and bloodied, and worse, to hear the mindless mobs screaming, "Crucify Him!" Even this is part of the meaning of Christmas, for to this end He was born - to die on the cross for the sins of the world. The meaning of Christmas does not end with the birth of Jesus Christ, or even the death of Jesus Christ. But because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ, the meaning of Christmas has continued through the ages, and continues on through our own times - for with every new birth in Christ, every new born-again believer carries Christ within their being. And as He is shared with others and received into new hearts, Christmas is repeated time and time again.

John 1:12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,
1:13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.


A time came when Mary understood, and she saw her Son resurrected, and became a disciple. We find her in the book of Acts, present among the other disciples on the day of Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit came (Acts 1:14). She would carry Christ again, in a new and different way - as a new creation in Christ.

Colossians 1:27 To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

2nd Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if anyone be in Christ, he is a new creation: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.


Merry Christmas
:goodpost:
No. 10     Reply: Re: How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  RadioPreacherMan   Gender: M   Age: 59   on  Dec 29, 2017 at 7:14 PM     
Very Well Presented Jeff ... :2thumbs:
No. 11     Reply: Re: How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  Bullfighter279   Gender: M   Age: 103   on  Dec 29, 2017 at 8:21 PM     
I am actually still listening to Christmas music!
No. 12     Reply: Re: Re: How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  Judy757   Gender: F   Age: 63   on  Dec 29, 2017 at 8:45 PM     
Jeff74996 wrote:

Without getting technical about definitions and keeping with Christmas as the advent of Jesus Christ coming into this world, I offer the following.

Luke 2:34 Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother, "This child is chosen by God for the destruction and the salvation of many in Israel. He will be a sign from God which many people will speak against
2:35 and so reveal their secret thoughts. And sorrow, like a sharp sword, will break your own heart."


I was thinking about Mary. Imagine being Mary - hand picked by God to carry, bring to birth, and rear His Son. She raised Him as a young Child, and watched Him grow. She must have been in awe at every turn. Fully grown, she was still His mother, and they were together at a wedding. She told Him they needed more wine when they ran out, and He accommodated. It would not be very long after that when she would feel the tension as the religious leaders became disturbed and angry with Him. She must have been horrified when they took Him away to be beaten and bloodied, and worse, to hear the mindless mobs screaming, "Crucify Him!" Even this is part of the meaning of Christmas, for to this end He was born - to die on the cross for the sins of the world. The meaning of Christmas does not end with the birth of Jesus Christ, or even the death of Jesus Christ. But because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ, the meaning of Christmas has continued through the ages, and continues on through our own times - for with every new birth in Christ, every new born-again believer carries Christ within their being. And as He is shared with others and received into new hearts, Christmas is repeated time and time again.

John 1:12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,
1:13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.


A time came when Mary understood, and she saw her Son resurrected, and became a disciple. We find her in the book of Acts, present among the other disciples on the day of Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit came (Acts 1:14). She would carry Christ again, in a new and different way - as a new creation in Christ.

Colossians 1:27 To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

2nd Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if anyone be in Christ, he is a new creation: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.


Merry Christmas
:2thumbs: That's good, Jeff. Thanks for your input.
No. 13     Reply: Re: Re: How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  Judy757   Gender: F   Age: 63   on  Dec 29, 2017 at 8:48 PM     
Bullfighter279 wrote:

I am actually still listening to Christmas music!
Hey, nothing wrong with that. You go, Bullfighter!
No. 14     Reply: Re: Re: How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  Jeff74996   Gender: M   Age: 57   on  Dec 30, 2017 at 4:15 AM     
Bullfighter279 wrote:

I am actually still listening to Christmas music!


O Holy Night is still playing in my head. That part, "Fall on your knees" gets me every time.
No. 15     Reply: Re: Re: Re: How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  Judy757   Gender: F   Age: 63   on  Dec 30, 2017 at 5:41 PM     
Jeff74996 wrote:

Bullfighter279 wrote:

I am actually still listening to Christmas music!


O Holy Night is still playing in my head. That part, "Fall on your knees" gets me every time.
Me too!
No. 16     Reply: Re: How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  shodan_carmen   Gender: M   Age: 67   on  Jan 2, 2018 at 8:33 PM     
Good post.

In America, Christmas kind of hits a brick Wall on Dec. 25; an abrupt end, and find some other focus.

For others, we're still in the 12 Days of Christmas.

https://textsincontext.wordpress.com/2016/01/01/christmas-isnt-over-epiphany/




No. 17     Reply: Re: Re: How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  Judy757   Gender: F   Age: 63   on  Jan 3, 2018 at 7:05 PM     
shodan_carmen wrote:

Good post.

In America, Christmas kind of hits a brick Wall on Dec. 25; an abrupt end, and find some other focus.

For others, we're still in the 12 Days of Christmas. Thanks. I heard a song recently that went, "Christmas may be over, but the Light still shines."

https://textsincontext.wordpress.com/2016/01/01/christmas-isnt-over-epiphany/




No. 18     Reply: Re: How do we as Christians, hold on to the Christmas Spirit when Christmas is past?   
By:  YoBro-MOTBOC   Gender: M   Age: 63   on  Jan 5, 2018 at 1:46 PM     
Refer to my post topic: Truth? or the deception of christ-mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------

YoBro-MOTBOC wrote:



This is the first time I used photos; so forgive me for any clumsiness.

These comparative images are for the start of a conversation concerning untruths (deceit) that people latch on to and fight for with scripture that reveals the WORD as the truth.