MeetChristians.com Tour

Private
Mailbox

Quick
Search

Detailed
Search

Member
Forums

Live
Chat

Polls
space

User
Tools

Help
space

Log Off
space
MeetChristians.com / Forums / Biblical & Theological Issues

No. 0     Original Topic: Being representatives of Christ to the world   
By:  CAsandie   Gender: F   Age: 103   on  Nov 15, 2017 at 10:54 AM   Viewed 848 times     


A while ago, I attended a teaching on this topic that remained with me (a small Church I attend in which goers stay after sometimes for hours in fellowship with one another [a word that possibly ought to be defined]:

from Strong's:
Short Definition: participation, communion, fellowship
Definition: (lit: partnership) (a) contributory help, participation, (b) sharing in, communion, (c) spiritual fellowship, a fellowship in the spirit.
HELPS Word-studies

2842 koinōnía (a feminine noun) – properly, what is shared in common as the basis of fellowship (partnership, community).


In studying the betrayal of Jesus we find John 13:23-27

23One of His disciples, the one whom Jesus loved, was reclining at His side. 24So Simon Peter motioned to him to ask Jesus which one He was talking about. 25Leaning back against Jesus, he asked, “Lord, who is it?” 26Jesus answered, “It is the one to whom I give this piece of bread after I have dipped it.” Then He dipped the piece of bread and gave it to Judas son of Simon Iscariot. 27After Judas took the piece of bread, Satan entered into him. Then Jesus said to Judas, “What you are about to do, do quickly.”

The actual word left out here, but given in interlinear translation for where "Peter was" is the "masculine" word -- bosom. From Strong's

2859 kólpos – properly, the upper part of the chest where a garment naturally folded to form a "pocket" – called the "bosom," the position synonymous with intimacy (union).



Not digressing off the topic of 'representatives of Christ' -- I am offering the definition of the word representative here for discussion:

rep·re·sen·ta·tive
ˌreprəˈzen(t)ədiv/
adjective
adjective: representative

1. typical of a class, group, or body of opinion.

2. (of a legislative or deliberative assembly) consisting of people chosen to act and speak on behalf of a wider group.

3. serving as a portrayal or symbol of something.

4. Philosophy: relating to mental representation.

noun: representative; plural noun: representatives

1. a person chosen or appointed to act or speak for another or others, in particular.

2. an example of a class or group.


So that is the basic definition given in MW...



What does "being a representative of Christ to the world" mean to you?





No. 1     Reply: Re: Being representatives of Christ to the world   
By:  RadioPreacherMan   Gender: M   Age: 59   on  Nov 15, 2017 at 3:19 PM     
I see Christians as a " reflection " of Christ ... more so than just being a representative.

When we act ...

It would be an action of Jesus Christ being worked out in us and shown through us to others ( reflection ) more so than simply acting like or acting on behalf of Jesus Christ ( representative ).

The action shown is Him ( reflection ).

The action is not us " trying " to act or " trying " to be like Him ( representative ).

=======================================================================================

2 Corinthians 3: 16-18 ... ( New Living Translation ) ....

16 - But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, then the veil is taken away.

17 - Now, the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, He gives freedom.

18 - And all of us have had that veil removed so that we can be mirrors that brightly reflect the Glory of the Lord.

And as the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more and more like Him and reflect His Glory even more.

No. 2     Reply: Re: Being representatives of Christ to the world   
By:  Devaprakash   Gender: M   Age: 73   on  Nov 19, 2017 at 5:44 AM     
CAsandie wrote:



A while ago, I attended a teaching on this topic that remained with me (a small Church I attend in which goers stay after sometimes for hours in fellowship with one another [a word that possibly ought to be defined]:

from Strong's:
Short Definition: participation, communion, fellowship
Definition: (lit: partnership) (a) contributory help, participation, (b) sharing in, communion, (c) spiritual fellowship, a fellowship in the spirit.
HELPS Word-studies

2842 koinōnía (a feminine noun) – properly, what is shared in common as the basis of fellowship (partnership, community).


In studying the betrayal of Jesus we find John 13:23-27

23One of His disciples, the one whom Jesus loved, was reclining at His side. 24So Simon Peter motioned to him to ask Jesus which one He was talking about. 25Leaning back against Jesus, he asked, “Lord, who is it?” 26Jesus answered, “It is the one to whom I give this piece of bread after I have dipped it.” Then He dipped the piece of bread and gave it to Judas son of Simon Iscariot. 27After Judas took the piece of bread, Satan entered into him. Then Jesus said to Judas, “What you are about to do, do quickly.”

The actual word left out here, but given in interlinear translation for where "Peter was" is the "masculine" word -- bosom. From Strong's

2859 kólpos – properly, the upper part of the chest where a garment naturally folded to form a "pocket" – called the "bosom," the position synonymous with intimacy (union).



Not digressing off the topic of 'representatives of Christ' -- I am offering the definition of the word representative here for discussion:

rep·re·sen·ta·tive
ˌreprəˈzen(t)ədiv/
adjective
adjective: representative

1. typical of a class, group, or body of opinion.

2. (of a legislative or deliberative assembly) consisting of people chosen to act and speak on behalf of a wider group.

3. serving as a portrayal or symbol of something.

4. Philosophy: relating to mental representation.

noun: representative; plural noun: representatives

1. a person chosen or appointed to act or speak for another or others, in particular.

2. an example of a class or group.


So that is the basic definition given in MW...



What does "being a representative of Christ to the world" mean to you?


What did Jesus want us to be? What did He instruct persons He sent out to preach the Gospel?
No. 3     Reply: Re: Re: Being representatives of Christ to the world   
By:  RadioPreacherMan   Gender: M   Age: 59   on  Nov 19, 2017 at 5:54 AM     
RadioPreacherMan wrote:

2 Corinthians 3: 16-18 ... ( New Living Translation ) ....

16 - But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, then the veil is taken away.

17 - Now, the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, He gives freedom.

18 - And all of us have had that veil removed so that we can be mirrors that brightly reflect the Glory of the Lord.

And as the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more and more like Him and reflect His Glory even more.



Worth Repeating ... Amen ! :2thumbs:
No. 4     Reply: Re: Being representatives of Christ to the world   
By:  CAsandie   Gender: F   Age: 103   on  Nov 20, 2017 at 5:57 PM     
How about the word 'ambassador' for Christ? RPM.

2 Cor 5:20 Therefore we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making His appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ: Be reconciled to God. 21God made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.

Thanks for your thoughts and contribution here. I do love what you have contributed (a Christian' light):

so that we can be mirrors that brightly reflect the Glory of the Lord. :thumb_up:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Devaprakash, are you thinking of this scripture?

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

If so a great scripture. Thank you. :thumb_up:


Thank you both.


No. 6     Reply: Re: Re: Being representatives of Christ to the world   
By:  Devaprakash   Gender: M   Age: 73   on  Nov 20, 2017 at 7:25 PM     
CAsandie wrote:

Devaprakash, are you thinking of this scripture?

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

If so a great scripture. Thank you. :thumb_up:


Plus, let us not forget the modus operandi!


Matthew 10: 7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.
9 Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses,
10 Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.

No. 7     Reply: Re: Re: Re: Being representatives of Christ to the world   
By:  CAsandie   Gender: F   Age: 103   on  Nov 21, 2017 at 9:25 AM     
Devaprakash wrote:

CAsandie wrote:

Devaprakash, are you thinking of this scripture?

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

If so a great scripture. Thank you. :thumb_up:


Plus, let us not forget the modus operandi!


Matthew 10: 7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.
9 Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses,
10 Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.



Great contribution here and I do agree! Thanks again Devaprakash.

Indeed Jesus commanded the 12 in this way:

Matt 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

and of course the rest in Matt 10, we see played out (and history tells us it did occur):

Matt 10:13 And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you. 14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

15 Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city. 16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.


Thanks again.



No. 8     Reply: Re: Re: Re: Re: Being representatives of Christ to the world   
By:  RadioPreacherMan   Gender: M   Age: 59   on  Nov 21, 2017 at 9:28 AM     
CAsandie wrote:

I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.



Worth Repeating ... Amen ! :2thumbs:
No. 9     Reply: Re: Being representatives of Christ to the world   
By:  CAsandie   Gender: F   Age: 103   on  Nov 24, 2017 at 9:15 AM     
Thanks RPM.

Something found online (from your morning coffee of inspiration):

The most difficult part of being a Christian is trying to be one of God’s representatives on earth. That is no small task. God has given us rules for how to interact with others, and some of them are not easy to follow. But if every person who claims to be a Christian actually followed those rules, our world would be a very different place.

The rule I think that most of us struggle with is to turn the other cheek. In Luke 6:27-30, Jesus told the disciples, “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.”

Strong words. Yet how would our world look if everyone followed those rules?

It is a natural to want to retaliate against someone who wrongs us. Even my own motto always has been that if someone fires at me, I will fire back harder. But the older I get, the more I learn that that approach doesn’t work. What I’ve found is this: When I retaliate, I feel unsettled. My heart isn’t at peace. Now, when I turn the other cheek, I may feel momentary discomfort. However, after feeling that subsides, I am at peace with myself. More importantly, when I turn the other cheek, I show God that I trust Him to be my vindicator. I am willing to allow Him to deal with whatever issue I am facing. And inevitably, He takes my problems and uses them for my benefit.

Another challenge for Christians is to know how much to care for others. In my experience, there is no middle ground with this issue. There are two groups of people: those who do too much for others, and those who do too little. No one seems to get it quite right.

In Paul’s Epistle to the Philippians 2:3-4, he says,

“Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.”

Valuing others above ourselves is hard to do. We naturally think of our own needs first. But living a life in which we satisfy only our own needs and rarely serve others doesn’t work. In our most intimate relationships, such an approach is a disaster. Try always putting your own needs before those of your spouse and see how that works for you. If you do, I can assure you that you will be on a fast track to a divorce. If you do the same with your children, they will grow up to be unhappy and frustrated adults. Our personal relationships don’t work when we don’t regularly put the needs of others before our own. However, when we take care of the needs of those closest to us, we show them that we love them. We show them that they matter to us. And then those relationships “work.”

We aren’t just called to consider the needs of our friends and families. We are supposed to consider the needs of strangers. That is harder to do. This past weekend, our family spent some time in New York City. That is a place that is teeming with strangers in need of help, from homeless people to prostitutes to drug addicts. The number of people in need of help in our country is beyond what our government or churches can manage. We each, individually, have a responsibility to do something to help others. Some of us are called to do more than others, but each of us has a responsibility to do something. Parts of our world look like a tragic mess because we all aren’t following Paul’s challenge to put the interests of others before our own.

Being God’s representative on earth is not an easy task. We are called to act in ways that don’t make sense by the world’s values. But remember that God’s ways are always better than ours. And when we try to follow His ways, our lives – and our world – improve.


http://www.beliefnet.com/columnists/yourmorningcupofinspiration/2016/07/being-gods-representative.html#q6HYfMc8VFcf1G6I.99

While this article is not perfect by any means, I still hope it might bless someone.