MeetChristians.com Tour

Private
Mailbox

Quick
Search

Detailed
Search

Member
Forums

Live
Chat

Polls
space

User
Tools

Help
space

Log Off
space
MeetChristians.com / Forums / Biblical & Theological Issues

No. 0     Original Topic:  Alcohol in the Bible   
By:  bodyservant56   Gender: M   Age: 60   on  Aug 8, 2017 at 5:13 AM   Viewed 2321 times     
Good article on the teaching of alcohol use in the bible.

https://weltonacademy.com/blogs/jonathanwelton/50140673-what-does-the-bible-really-say-about-alcohol

Even though some Christians advocate for the total abstinence of alcohol as a moral mandate for all believers, the Bible never requires all believers to abstain from alcohol. It condemns drunkenness and being enslaved to wine (Ephesians 5:18; Titus 2:3), but it never says that tee-totaling is the better way to obey God. In fact, the Bible never says that abstaining from alcohol is the wisest way to avoid getting drunk. Think about it. Alcoholism has been rampant through every age, but the Bible never says that all believers should therefore refrain from drinking.
No. 1     Reply: Re: Alcohol in the Bible   
By:  Bullfighter279   Gender: M   Age: 103   on  Jan 24, 2018 at 10:25 AM     
True but I really don't have any desire for it anymore.

Jesus took the desire away, completely.

I have this stuff called the new wine...
No. 2     Reply: Re: Alcohol in the Bible   
By:  Devaprakash   Gender: M   Age: 73   on  Jan 24, 2018 at 7:34 PM     
bodyservant56 wrote:

Good article on the teaching of alcohol use in the bible.

https://weltonacademy.com/blogs/jonathanwelton/50140673-what-does-the-bible-really-say-about-alcohol

Even though some Christians advocate for the total abstinence of alcohol as a moral mandate for all believers, the Bible never requires all believers to abstain from alcohol. It condemns drunkenness and being enslaved to wine (Ephesians 5:18; Titus 2:3), but it never says that tee-totaling is the better way to obey God. In fact, the Bible never says that abstaining from alcohol is the wisest way to avoid getting drunk. Think about it. Alcoholism has been rampant through every age, but the Bible never says that all believers should therefore refrain from drinking.


I agree. In fact, Jesus was accused of being a drunkard! What goes in may not matter much, but it is what comes out!
No. 3     Reply: Re: Re: Alcohol in the Bible   
By:  bodyservant56   Gender: M   Age: 61   on  Feb 4, 2018 at 8:30 AM     
Bullfighter279 wrote:

True but I really don't have any desire for it anymore.

Jesus took the desire away, completely.

I have this stuff called the new wine...


for my health reasons, I abstain. But not for some bent religious reasons. My head is clearer and I get less depressions by not drinking a depressant beverage.
No. 4     Reply: Re: Re: Alcohol in the Bible   
By:  jimmylynn   Gender: M   Age: 73   on  Feb 16, 2018 at 9:52 PM     
Devaprakash wrote:

bodyservant56 wrote:

Good article on the teaching of alcohol use in the bible.

https://weltonacademy.com/blogs/jonathanwelton/50140673-what-does-the-bible-really-say-about-alcohol

Even though some Christians advocate for the total abstinence of alcohol as a moral mandate for all believers, the Bible never requires all believers to abstain from alcohol. It condemns drunkenness and being enslaved to wine (Ephesians 5:18; Titus 2:3), but it never says that tee-totaling is the better way to obey God. In fact, the Bible never says that abstaining from alcohol is the wisest way to avoid getting drunk. Think about it. Alcoholism has been rampant through every age, but the Bible never says that all believers should therefore refrain from drinking.


I agree. In fact, Jesus was accused of being a drunkard! What goes in may not matter much, but it is what comes out!

/
/
a subject i like to speak up on. so a few thoughts.

I abstain.
after becoming a christian when I was 32, I slowly went away from several beers a week and occassional wine and vodka to nothing after a few years. my mother was killed by a drunk driver in a car crash when I was 8. she was 28. I survived.
I now see alchohol as evil worldly poison.
yes alcohol has caused much pain for thousands of years.
no reason for a christian to use alcohol.
we are told to raise a child in the way to go. not to use alcohol.
I have not looked at the article but I have articles of my own from internet. I do believe half the time that wine is mentioned in bible it is grape juice.
I have heard lutheran fools say that it was alcohol because the bible says wine. thus the need for the article.
I am not sure why bible says Jesus was a wine biber. yes grape juice He used for sure. and alcohol was mixed with water to stretch the quantity.
Jesus never said to use wine in commmunion. He said juice of vine - which is smart teaching I think.
and I do not think Jesus made alcohol. why would He? to get drunks drunker?
His disciples and apostles likely stopped using alcohol. and Timothy likely used grape juice for his sick tummmy. maybe he used alcohol to kill bacteria.
and early christians were not using alcohol because they are mocked in acts 2 saying they were drunk with new wine. not possible to be druk on new wine - so they are being made sport of . christians then were likely drinking new wine and avoiding evil alcohol.
yes I know there is verses that tell to avoid much wine - so apparently a little alcohol was OK? but then many verses throughout the whole bible say alcohol is a mmocker and to avoid alcohol and have a clear mind always. so we are never to be drunk.

again I will say it is good to be a good witness for christians and to avoid teaching others to use alcohol and to even think that you do. in other words - be an example as Paul said he was. let no one be able to speak evil of you. let your circumcised heart be seen by all.

and James said to pay your tithe to widows and orphans and not be worldly in your ways. teach the world to sing a new song about Christ and to not drink. think of the life you may save by you not drinking. it may be your own life or a childs life or a mothers life.

buried in Christ. Jim
No. 5     Reply: Re: Re: Re: Alcohol in the Bible   
By:  Devaprakash   Gender: M   Age: 73   on  Feb 17, 2018 at 7:17 AM     
bodyservant56 wrote:

Bullfighter279 wrote:

True but I really don't have any desire for it anymore.

Jesus took the desire away, completely.

I have this stuff called the new wine...


for my health reasons, I abstain. But not for some bent religious reasons. My head is clearer and I get less depressions by not drinking a depressant beverage.


It is just the opposite in my case!
No. 6     Reply: Re: Re: Re: Alcohol in the Bible   
By:  Devaprakash   Gender: M   Age: 73   on  Feb 17, 2018 at 7:28 AM     
jimmylynn wrote:

Devaprakash wrote:

bodyservant56 wrote:

Good article on the teaching of alcohol use in the bible.

https://weltonacademy.com/blogs/jonathanwelton/50140673-what-does-the-bible-really-say-about-alcohol

Even though some Christians advocate for the total abstinence of alcohol as a moral mandate for all believers, the Bible never requires all believers to abstain from alcohol. It condemns drunkenness and being enslaved to wine (Ephesians 5:18; Titus 2:3), but it never says that tee-totaling is the better way to obey God. In fact, the Bible never says that abstaining from alcohol is the wisest way to avoid getting drunk. Think about it. Alcoholism has been rampant through every age, but the Bible never says that all believers should therefore refrain from drinking.


I agree. In fact, Jesus was accused of being a drunkard! What goes in may not matter much, but it is what comes out!

/
/
a subject i like to speak up on. so a few thoughts.

I abstain.
after becoming a christian when I was 32, I slowly went away from several beers a week and occassional wine and vodka to nothing after a few years. my mother was killed by a drunk driver in a car crash when I was 8. she was 28. I survived.
I now see alchohol as evil worldly poison.
yes alcohol has caused much pain for thousands of years.
no reason for a christian to use alcohol.
we are told to raise a child in the way to go. not to use alcohol.
I have not looked at the article but I have articles of my own from internet. I do believe half the time that wine is mentioned in bible it is grape juice.
I have heard lutheran fools say that it was alcohol because the bible says wine. thus the need for the article.
I am not sure why bible says Jesus was a wine biber. yes grape juice He used for sure. and alcohol was mixed with water to stretch the quantity.
Jesus never said to use wine in commmunion. He said juice of vine - which is smart teaching I think.
and I do not think Jesus made alcohol. why would He? to get drunks drunker?
His disciples and apostles likely stopped using alcohol. and Timothy likely used grape juice for his sick tummmy. maybe he used alcohol to kill bacteria.
and early christians were not using alcohol because they are mocked in acts 2 saying they were drunk with new wine. not possible to be druk on new wine - so they are being made sport of . christians then were likely drinking new wine and avoiding evil alcohol.
yes I know there is verses that tell to avoid much wine - so apparently a little alcohol was OK? but then many verses throughout the whole bible say alcohol is a mmocker and to avoid alcohol and have a clear mind always. so we are never to be drunk.

again I will say it is good to be a good witness for christians and to avoid teaching others to use alcohol and to even think that you do. in other words - be an example as Paul said he was. let no one be able to speak evil of you. let your circumcised heart be seen by all.

and James said to pay your tithe to widows and orphans and not be worldly in your ways. teach the world to sing a new song about Christ and to not drink. think of the life you may save by you not drinking. it may be your own life or a childs life or a mothers life.

buried in Christ. Jim


I disagree that new wine or old wine is just grape juice. Jesus and His disciples were drinking alcoholic wine - of what strength, I don't know. That was the practice in the society of His time. John the Baptist clearly abstained from wine.

Instead of becoming invalid and bedridden for lack of strength, I am taking alcohol for its beneficial properties.

Hindu Brahmins claim holiness by saying that they are abstaining from meat and alcohol. If Christians claim something like that, I can't help. My health is my concern, and I am not trying to please the world.