MeetChristians.com Tour

Private
Mailbox

Quick
Search

Detailed
Search

Member
Forums

Live
Chat

Polls
space

User
Tools

Help
space

Log Off
space
MeetChristians.com / Forums / Unorthodox Doctrinal Discussion

No. 0     Original Topic:  Catholic's why do you have to go to the Father of the church to confess your sins?   
By:  BorrowedAngel52   Gender: F   Age: 64   on  Mar 11, 2017 at 3:43 AM   Viewed 3182 times     
I am very curious. Can you share that with me? Or, is it forbidden by the Church?
No. 1     Reply: Re: Catholic's why do you have to go to the Father of the church to confess your sins?   
By:  Devaprakash   Gender: M   Age: 72   on  Mar 11, 2017 at 5:07 AM     
BorrowedAngel52 wrote:

I am very curious. Can you share that with me? Or, is it forbidden by the Church?


Based on this:

Matthew 16
19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

So the Catholic priests think that the authority to forgive has been passed on to them from generation to generation since Peter.
No. 2     Reply: Catholic's why do you have to go to the Father of the church to confess your sins?   
By:  CHAIRO   Gender: F   Age: 56   on  Apr 7, 2017 at 10:30 PM     
Both of my parents were raised Catholic, but switched churches when they married which had something to do with a friend of my father. As I learned about the Catholic church, I as very thankful for the church I had growing up with the lack of idolotry.

I do not have the answer to the question except to chalk it up to the devil's deceptive tactics within the church which are being exposed. I suppose he will not be too happy when the cockroaches become exposed.

I have also heard of the Holy Ghost moving through some of the Catholic churches, so there is always hope the Truth will set some free.
No. 3     Reply: Re: Catholic's why do you have to go to the Father of the church to confess your sins?   
By:  ChildOfGod559   Gender: F   Age: 64   on  Apr 8, 2017 at 2:40 AM     
I also agree Chairo, that "The Holy Spirit" is moving in the Catholic Churches and revealing truth to many! I was raised up going to the Catholic Church myself. Which is where I first believed in Jesus Christ the Son of God, and the Holy Spirit of Truth. I was not baptized into the Catholic Church, but did attend each time the door was open. The Holy Spirit had spoke to me as a "young" girl some truth. For one, I did not have to go to the Father of that Church, or any Saint to "seek forgiveness" for my sins. "Only Jesus Christ" who bled and died for me, and all my sins! That's all... The Spirit of God spoke to me one Easter morning. Everyone was going up to the alter to receive Holy Communion. And, being I was not baptized into the Catholic Church, I was not allowed to receive Communion. It was considered a Sin! But, my "Heart was Open to God", whom I Loved, and my ears were made clear. What I heard the Father of the Church say as he held up the bread (waffer) was, "Take this "all" of "you" for this is the Body of Christ. He never said, I had to be Baptized into that Faith. So, I got in line to receive the bread. I heard people making sounds, and saying, ohhh! my God, she is sinning! I did not care. I wanted to be a part of Jesus Christ! I received the bread, and went back to my seat, and sat down...my eyes were now really open. I could see, and hear things concerning the Catholic Church, that I just did not agree with. But, I did not know why just yet. The funny part is, I never owned a Bible, and they did not teach it either, on Sunday during Mass. (Service)To make it worse, the mass was done in Latin. Well geeshee, I was backward anyway, and my English was not proper, but I figured it out somehow. :-) Furthermore, I felt a strong need to be close to God, and learn of him...Jesus knew my heart, and yes it was open. Before I knew it, I had been pulled away from the Catholic Church. I found myself giving my whole life over to Jesus Christ! I had humbled myself, and got on my face before him and repented of all my sins. Moving forward, I could see even more clear. I got my first Bible, and the very first scripture I had ever read, and understood, was..."Lo", I stand here at the door and knock, if any man hears my voice, and opens the door I will come in, and sup with him, and him with me". :-)Rev 3:20. So, I opened wide that door...and have never stopped learning, and growing in the things of God! And, prayerfully, I will not ever. I am very Thankful, and have much Respect for the Catholic Church. Although, I no longer agree with the teachings. However, it was there that "the seed" of "FAITH" was planted! I just loved all Spiritual things so much. Praise God! We do not have to go to the Father of the Catholic Church, or any of the Saints displayed, and confess our sins! We can go straight to "Our Father," which is in heaven. There is no mediator between God and man, except Our Lord Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit of God, who is free and just to forgive us of our sins. Our sins were nailed to that cross, (tree) where Jesus himself went on our behalf. He hung there, and he died for me! You too, Yes Lord! No greater was the sacrifice than "He" who laid his life down, for a sinner such as I! You too. So, you ask me why I love him? Well, it was He who First Loved Me...Ohhh yes, how I love Jesus... Hey ya'all thanks for listening, and for sharing as well...I have enjoyed my time with everyone. No matter if we have agreed, or not. Its been a ball, but the clock on the wall says its time to go now. So, I really must go. But, not forever. Just for now. God bless you all. May the Light of Jesus Christ Shine deep into your hearts, so others may also see Jesus. Love ya, I truly do! X
No. 4     Reply: Catholic's why do you have to go to the Father of the church to confess your sins?   
By:  CHAIRO   Gender: F   Age: 56   on  Apr 9, 2017 at 11:18 PM     
I once visited a Catholic church with a friend when invited to spend the weekend at her home as teenagers. I did not feel the need to be baptized into their faith, as you did, and felt confident answering the the call for Communion as it was presented, so I went forward and partook. I do not recall any type of flack from parishioners, so it must be dependent upon the individual church. Even growing up, we had our staunchy, religious church and I do not recall actually receiving anything of a spiritual, loving nature from them. I was eight years old when a new church moved into town where the atmosphere was completely different. We were there until we moved, about eleven years.

It sounds to me that the Holy Spirit was calling you and you were obedient which is why your eyes were opened. You did not allow yourself to be persuaded by man.
No. 5     Reply: Re: Re: Catholic's why do you have to go to the Father of the church to confess your sins?   
By:  Survivor698   Gender: M   Age: 103   on  Apr 10, 2017 at 10:31 PM     
Devaprakash wrote:

BorrowedAngel52 wrote:

I am very curious. Can you share that with me? Or, is it forbidden by the Church?


Based on this:

Matthew 16
19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

So the Catholic priests think that the authority to forgive has been passed on to them from generation to generation since Peter.


I am not Catholic, but personally know many that are. I am not aware of any that think their priest is whom forgives, but rather simply one they openly confess their sins to as their mediator.
No. 6     Reply: Re: Re: Re: Catholic's why do you have to go to the Father of the church to confess your sins?   
By:  Devaprakash   Gender: M   Age: 73   on  Apr 11, 2017 at 1:31 AM     
Survivor698 wrote:

Devaprakash wrote:

BorrowedAngel52 wrote:

I am very curious. Can you share that with me? Or, is it forbidden by the Church?


Based on this:

Matthew 16
19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

So the Catholic priests think that the authority to forgive has been passed on to them from generation to generation since Peter.


I am not Catholic, but personally know many that are. I am not aware of any that think their priest is whom forgives, but rather simply one they openly confess their sins to as their mediator.


We need to consider the source of this practice in Catholic churches. It is not what the laity thinks about it, but what clergy forms the basis for this practice. This additional verse may help:

John 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.
No. 7     Reply: Re: Catholic's why do you have to go to the Father of the church to confess your sins?   
By:  ChildOfGod559   Gender: F   Age: 64   on  Apr 11, 2017 at 4:16 AM     
Survivor, you are right on this. The Catholic Churches do believe that the "Priest are the Mediator", when confessing their sins. After doing so, that one is then told to go and say...Ten, "Our Fathers", Ten, "Hail Mary's", Ten, "Glory Be's", and its then they are forgiven! By the way, just thinking...30 prayers right in a row like that, they had to do something pretty bad, Huh? Kidding.:smile:
No. 8     Reply: Re: Catholic's why do you have to go to the Father of the church to confess your sins?   
By:  Survivor698   Gender: M   Age: 85   on  Apr 11, 2017 at 2:34 PM     
Perceptions of what the Bible presents as our guide vary, but Jesus was put here on earth to provide the example man should strive to follow.

For example, many believe because Jesus allowed John the Baptist to baptize Him, it is a practice we all should strive for. Not that it is a necessary step for Salvation, but to simply follow the practices that Jesus provided.

Catholics believe the practices they abide by, although not necessary for their Salvation, should be strived for due to examples provided in the Bible.
No. 9     Reply: Re: Re: Catholic's why do you have to go to the Father of the church to confess your sins?   
By:  Devaprakash   Gender: M   Age: 73   on  Apr 11, 2017 at 8:27 PM     
Survivor698 wrote:

Perceptions of what the Bible presents as our guide vary, but Jesus was put here on earth to provide the example man should strive to follow.

For example, many believe because Jesus allowed John the Baptist to baptize Him, it is a practice we all should strive for. Not that it is a necessary step for Salvation, but to simply follow the practices that Jesus provided.

Catholics believe the practices they abide by, although not necessary for their Salvation, should be strived for due to examples provided in the Bible.
:thumb_up: